Sunday, June 20, 2010

Thing #2

Web 2.0 information is extremely overwhelming. I can only assume that if I tune in next month it will only be worse due to the rapid pace that the information is changing. I hope to tune in to many of the ways to impart information to my students. I also hope that our math coordinator will begin to use the blog or wiki format to get information to us. If she starts the move, I am sure that our math teachers will get on board and begin to use the conveyances for communication about techniques that they have found beneficial.

I learned in the past that many of the disabled learners that I teach do tend to read better from a computer screen than from the pages of a book. I can only guess that the computer screen lends itself to dyslexic tendencies. I discovered last year that the students I teach that had two class periods of math (one dedicated to teaching math in another way with computer reinforcement) scored better on TAKS and TAKS-M than the class that did not received two classes and computer reinforcement. I know from teaching the students, that they endured the lessons from Monday through Thursday to get to the computer class on Friday. Many of my special education students even practiced at home through the Voyager online program. Next year, we will be using Study Island Math. The program may not be in depth as much as Voyager, but the results should be the same. We'll know when they take TAKS next year.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to note that your dyslexic learners are doing better when they use technology. Hopefully you will find some things to use with them in this class that will increase their learning as well.

    ReplyDelete