Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thing #10

Learning about the new fair use doctrine was great. I hope I'm not the only one out here that didn't know about it. I've been working under the old copyright rules that were extremely restrictive--either you got it from the library or bought materials that could be reproduced.

When it comes to my students, I am absolutely sure they don't know or care about copyrights--anything on the internet is free unless they tell you to pay for it--don't you know! Seriously, though, I am glad so much work has gone into making it easier (and cheaper) to educate our students.

In addition to books and worksheets (either owned by the district or me), I use math videos from the internet. I never questioned whether they were copyrighted or not--I guess I'm like my students in that way. I also use math web sites that the district purchases. For these, the name of the student has to be loaded into the data base.

All in all, I guess I'm glad the fair use guidelines are in place. These days, my material comes from so many places that the fair use guidelines make creating varied lessons easier.

2 comments:

  1. Copyright does have a such a bad name doesn't it? I think it's just that we just aren't sure what's ok and what's not. Did you notice the Creative Commons on the 23 Things Wiki? Check out the home page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did read that section along with the Creative Commons section on Flickr. That will be a great tool while going through this course.

    ReplyDelete