Friday, July 16, 2010

Thing #18

YouTube and TeacherTube can best be described as "you have to look through a lot of trash to find a treasure."

My excursion through YouTube didn't last long--way to much trash for me. TeacherTube was also full of trash but it was because most of the videos I looked at were very amateur. On my first search, I used the tags free, math, videos, and middle school. I got a lot of trash from elementary, middle school and high school--I guess the middle school tag is "iffy." I got tired of that so I refined my search to include a specific math subject such as Pythagorean Theorum. I think that would be a better set of criteria, but you still have to wade through a great deal of trash.

I like to use videos to introduce or reinforce a lesson just to vary the learning experience. Most of the videos I viewed would not impress my resource math students. If they don't get humor, or learning, or enjoyment of some kind, it's a waste of time.

This is a good resource and I can see math videos getting better as time goes on and more teachers learn to use the resource. This was one of two "things" so far that was not new to me.

1 comment:

  1. Just remember that You Tube is blocked but as a professional if you feel it is appropriate for your students you may override and show.

    ReplyDelete