Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #22

MySpace and Facebook are areas that are so foreign to me that I always think "what's the point?" My children, my sister, my sister-in-law all wanted me to join so I guess I'm glad I did for that reason. I have to admit, though, that the first thing I did was Google the security issues which were huge--kind of scares me. Also, I find it kind of scary for people I went to high school with 40 years ago to find me--what could we possibly have in common? I'm one of those people who went to 12 schools before I graduated high school--I'm used to moving on.

I'm not sure I would want to use either of these social networks for my students in teaching math. I really feel that too much time is wasted in a day with these sites--much like gaming. My children tell me of students who spent so much time on these sites that they failed out of school. The one useful feature I found on facebook (and I assume MySpace has the same feature) was the ability to connect to other special education teachers.

1 comment:

  1. One of the best things I've found about Facebook is communicating with those people you are interested knowing more. I've been talking to out-of-town cousins and other relatives that I wouldn't otherwise see or visit with.

    ReplyDelete